Wellness is all about being healthy in all areas of our life and one area that needs special care is our beautiful brain because it is what allows us to be well-functioning human beings! Sometimes though, because of hectic schedules and busy lives, we tend to create unhealthy habits that are incredibly detrimental to our brain’s ability to function properly. So, here are 10 things you can do daily which will help you maintain and improve your brainpower:
1. SLEEP. A lot happens to our brain when we sleep and researchers believe that getting at least 8 hours of sleep daily will help to consolidate and organize information so that you will remember it better later on!
2. Exercise. Regular and long-term exercise helps to boost brainpower because working out increases the flow of oxygen to our brains and it also reduces the risk of disorders which lead to memory loss such as diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
4. Learn a new language. Learning adds structure to the brain and helps to keep us sharp! You don’t have to go all pro on a language within 2 months, but even taking a basic course of Spanish, French, Russian, Japanese – it all helps to keep our brain functioning and in areas which are not usually activated in our day-to-day. Plus, you get to have some fun!
5. Listen to music. Listening to music helps to strengthen the right side of our brain and changes its structure. Studies have found that people who listen more to music are generally smarter and have more emotional intelligence than those who don’t.
6. Laugh! Laughing engages many different areas all across the brain and in addition to that, listening to jokes and punch lines activates the creative areas of our brains. There are many ways to increase the amount of laughter in your life: laugh at yourself, surround yourself with playful and funny people, and surround yourself with positive reminders!
7. Meditate. Anxiety and stress are one of our brain’s biggest enemies and untreated chronic stress can even lead to the destruction of brain cells. Meditation is (one of) the best ways to decrease stress because it changes the actual brain by increasing the area of the brain associated with feelings of joy and encourages more connections between brain cells. So many benefits!!
8. Do cross-word puzzles. These puzzles enhance our brain’s ability to think critically and recall past memories!
9. Stay in school. People who stay in school are more likely to increase their brainpower than the average drop-out. So, if you can, stay in school as long as possible to keep that brain sharp!
10. Play brain-training games. Alright, this is my favorite. There are so many brain-training games out there and they are so fun and, of course, they help to exercise our brain which is a great bonus! Check out some FREE brain-traning games here: Mind Games, Brain Metrix, Miniclip, Fit Brains.